Preparations are now well in hand to celebrate our 150th anniversary on 29th May. We hope that many of you reading this will be able to join us. Details of our Service are contained below but first we start with a little of the church history...
Our church, which was once reported to be the smallest church in Norfolk, was the subject of a Vestry meeting in 1862. It was decided at this meeting that the church needed to be enlarged and then in 1864 it was a agreed that a new one should be built.
The new church was consecrated on 31st May 1866 by the Bishop of Norwich and he urged the congregation to raise the necessary funds, £4,000 (worth over £330,000 today!) to complete the building.
The remains of the medieval church, dedicated to St Andrew, still exist in front of the Parish Church.
The service planned for the 29th May will be a wonderful joint celebration of not only our 150th anniversary but also 10 years of Thorpe St Andrew Town Council (having previously been a Parish Council for 111 years) and, of course, an opportunity to celebrate our Queen's 90th birthday!
The Eucharist service on the 29th will be presided over by Bishop Graham and will start at 10.30am. We welcome everyone to attend. Civic leaders have been invited along with representatives of local organisations.
After the service there will be refreshments and a picnic on the River Green by courtesy of the Town Council.